Friday, July 12, 2013

Updates

There have been those enquiring whether Ralph Rutledge is ready to be restored to any kind of ministry.  What is the best answer to that based on the information to date?

I cannot do due diligence for everyone.  That is your responsibility.

I cannot know everything about the state of Ralph Rutledge to state any conclusion with full and complete confidence.

As I survey the quest, the enquiry into the reports, allegations and information provided by individuals I can make general statements based on the present state of the information:


  1. The information that has come to me by phone, interview and reading material has not lead to doubt about the allegations, the problems and various issues that initially disbarred Rutledge from ministry in the POAC (Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada).
  2. Stated alternately the information tends to accumulate and confirm the concerns that resulted in the initial decision by the PAOC.
  3. The concerns that resulted in the PAOC decisions were serious.  That can be affirmed in spite of Rutledge's attempts to deny, downplay and minimize the seriousness of his behaviour.  I am familiar with reports from that time and since that time that prevent me from giving these pleas and denials credibility.
  4. Rutledge, to the best of my information did pursue attempts at therapy since the incidents.  
  5. His behaviour since that time seems to have continued to be unprofessional in several ways especially if we take the reports, minutes, letters and a book written about his attitude and behaviour at a church he pastored after the incidents.  Those reports strongly suggest that the initial problems did not change significantly since the action taken by the PAOC.
  6. To the best of my knowledge, Rutledge was not willing to undertake the full requirements of restoration which would include cease and desist predatory sexual behaviours, cooperation with an accountability mechanism.
There may be those closer to the man than I am who can report signs of hope or a change of heart that I am not aware of. I am not the most up to date source or close to the situation at this point. 

I pray that the Kingdom of God be manifested in this situation so that the gospel may be upheld, restoration and healing achieved and the wounds of many healed.

George Hartwell


2 comments:

  1. Yeah..Ralph is a performer all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an advantage in the pastorate to be a great 'performer' but tragic if your more personal relationships do not reflect the values you preach from the pulpit. It is reported that Ralph was very hard to get close to. This shielded him from accountability with from the good men that were on his team at Queensway. They could not confront him or get access to his heart.

    I have known people pleasing and Performance Orientation in my own life. There is an isolation from love and authentic relationships experienced when one is a Performer.

    Without authenticity no Christian community builds and the Holy Spirit does not have a nest to land, for the Holy Spirit loves the humility of authentic relationships and participates in the building of the true church - the one Jesus spoke of when he said "I will build my church."

    Once Performance Orientation was names and identified in my life, I was able to take it to God in prayer and the process of shedding the old skin began as the new man in Christ emerged.

    I am glad to say that I experience new freedom to be me and that 'Mr. Nice Guy" is not around these days.

    ReplyDelete